Sunday, September 19, 2010

Educating the Offspring

So, while I don't like to brag about it, it's easiest to start off this entry explaining that the offspring seems to have above average intelligence. She is hitting milestones early and has very high comprehension skills for her age. 1337 D4ddy and I aren't exactly slackers in the IQ department so I can't say I'm shocked, but even knowing it's likely doesn't fully prepare a person to raise a gifted child.

I worry about whether I am stimulating the offspring enough to help her reach her potential. We talk and I teach her words every day, we read pretty much every day, and we are already introducing the alphabet and colors into her daily play too. But the world throws lots of early education "opportunities" at parents these days and it keeps me curious. Do I need to get "Your Baby Can Read"? Do I need to buy sign language DVDs? Do I need to make baby lesson books?

Right now my answer is no. The offspring is learning really well without any formal lessons and I don't want to interrupt it. I want her to grow into her brains and talents naturally, without being pushed too hard in any one direction. This isn't to say that I disagree with any parents that do choose baby education. I haven't completely ruled out doing it in the future. But the offspring has so far shown a fondness for learning in her own way and I'm not going to make her change. I want to encourage her imagination, too. After all, she will have years and years of school to teach her, but only five years to stay home and play!

2 comments:

  1. I HATE your baby can read... every time I see those commercials I wonder how many HOURS those children spent, sitting inside watching TV instead of out playing. I've been worried about this as well though, if everyone else is buying these things, will my child be somehow behind before the game even starts? I think Mari-Alis is pretty dang smart but I think most parents think their child is a genius :) I think I'd rather have a baby who is curious and compassionate than one who can say the alphabet backward at 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great. Let the offspring continue to draw encouragement and guidance from you while keeping learning natural and fun. As you noted, play is her work right now, and it is the most important work she has. As proof that I know at least a little, you turned out well!

    ReplyDelete