Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nerdbaby Chic

I have spent a lot of time recently searching for baby gear to suit our nerdy lifestyle. I am frustrated with the lack of fun, geeky baby toys, but I'll get into that another time. One thing that I am finding absolutely overwhelming is the amount of clothing for the latest generation of nerds! Whether you want your baby to declare that "Daddy is 1337" or display Level 1 Human stats, there are dozens of choices for all types of nerds.

I'm sad to say that the offspring probably won't have a lot of geek gear for her first few months, if only because we are completely overwhelmed by normal baby clothes right now! Our clothing supply tapers off a bit around the 6-month sizes, so come springtime or so we'll probably start adding a few nerd onesies to her wardrobe. In the meantime I am shopping around.

Like most good nerd gear, it's not likely you'll find your geeky baby clothes in the store around the corner. Luckily there are a number of sites to choose from when shopping for the little nerdling.
  • http://www.thinkgeek.com/ is always where I start when I'm shopping for my favorite nerds. Their infant selection is a little small, but stick with them into the toddler sizes and you will be rewarded. For Halloween and convention season, or even just for fun, they carry Star Wars costumes that should fit infants as small as six months.
  • http://www.jinx.com/ has clothing for geeks and gamers of all ages, but they're definitely focused on the grown ups. Their "Level 1 Human" tee is a favorite, though, so I'm hoping they will come out with more for their mini-geeks and mini-gamers lines.
  • http://www.cafepress.com/ definitely has the largest selection! No matter which search terms you use, be prepared to wade through dozens of choices, some of which may not seem related to what you want. Feeling creative? Cafe Press also has the option to make your own designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment