Thursday, November 11, 2010

One Year

Tomorrow is the offspring's first birthday. It seems like it has been a short year and has gone by far too quickly, but I know all parents say that. All day I have been remembering the twenty four hours leading up to her birth. I had been having so many contractions, and I was more than ready to lose twenty pounds or so. I love my daughter immensely, but pregnancy, especially that last month or so, is not really appealing to me. I was done. I was so lucky to have a relatively short and easy labor. I had time to chat with friends and family, make a number of facebook posts, and play a little Mario Kart to distract myself from contractions pre-epidural. I was able to genuinely enjoy my labor and delivery and all my memories are so great!

Even though I love to reminisce about those early days, I am glad the offspring is getting older because she is so much fun. Every day she learns and her personality grows. When she was tiny I could admire her tiny face, ears, nose, hands and toes. Now she can tell me where all of them are. I used to have to wave toys in front of her face to get a smile, but now she can fetch them for herself, often retrieving the one that I ask for. Many times she will wave them around to get our attention instead! There is not a single moment or memory that I would trade to reverse time, even the days of reflux and teething. I've discovered some of her favorite activities while trying to soothe or distract her.

Happy birthday to you, little one, and may the years to come be as blessed as the first!

1 comment:

  1. She, like her mama, is an amazing and unique individual. May you have as much joy partaking in her development as we had and continue to have in yours. She is indeed a gift.

    ReplyDelete